Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Bittersweet Goodbye to Summer.

It has come to this. The moment I have been waiting for.  This summer was not the best I have ever had but I learned very valuable and important lessons.  Eye-opening yet relaxing. I’m relieved that it’s over but anxious to prove to myself that I actually learned anything. History does have a habit of repeating itself. But this time I will not allow myself to slip into the deep abyss of poor grades or drown in the pool of wasted time. 

Back to California. I’m as excited as the first time I trekked out west for freshman year; the only difference now is that I have come prepared as a veteran. There are many opportunities to be had and thousands of moments to be seized. It took quite a long time to realize this simple truth, but the road to realization happened to be one of the best rides of my life. Now is the time to shake off the dust and regain momentum toward the original goal. 

Even on the sunniest of days, my departures always seem to have this distinctly bittersweet mist in the air. You get comfortable. You’re in the friendly confines of home. Nobody can touch you, its home.  But you have to leave at some point. Bitter and Sweet. At the end of the day, it is always good to know that I HAVE a home to go home to. 

It usually hits me when the plane takes off. I’m Gone. There’s no one to wave goodbye to anymore, no one to blow a kiss at. You’re suspended  32,000 feet in the air and a flight attendant is asking you if you want chocolate chip cookies or munchies.   Usually I take this time to switch my gears to “California-Mode” as I like to call it. Listen to a little Dre, Snoop, NWA, and definitely Daz and Kurupt. Once I land I will be ready. 

By the time I settle in, I will no longer miss home. It’s a perpetual cycle . No need to medicate the pain of leaving when you have the best of both worlds. The feelings of being homesick fade away just as fast as the plane accelerates for take off. 

Year 3 begins now. The Saga Continues. 

-TLG

No comments:

Post a Comment