Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Bronx is Burning pt. 2

As we continued through the Bronx, I became more and more comfortable with the surroundings. I expected stabbings, gun shots, car thefts, harrassment. None of it was there. 
Music and TV paint different pictures than what i saw. A valuable lesson is to be learned. Dont believe everything you hear or see until you go experience it yourself. There is an added risk yes. But you don't know what it's like until you take a walk. I encourage people to take an adventure to places you've always been curious about. Be safe of course, express caution when necessary. BE SMART. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYONE'S MISFORTUNE. enjoy it. its life and we're supposed to be in a global community, go check out your neighbor for once. 

Back to Hunts Point. 

 Possibly my favorite picture of the whole day. If only the end of that car wasnt there it would have been perfect. I took this picture over my friends shoulder so I wouldnt have to attract so much attention. I took about 3 pictures. When I was viewing them at home i realized that the two ladies realized that we were photographing them by the second picture! Once the initial shock was out of the way, the third picture revealed a smile and a half pose from the lady in white. 
It was a good day. 
 More work from Tats Cru. 
R.I.P. Big Pun. 
 'Cuz even in the hood, there are rainbows. A symbol of hope for the community? Perhaps. 
 A nice contrast from the last picture. I feel this picture and the last are great symbols that suggest the Bronx is beautiful yet there is still a lot of garbage that needs to be taken out. 
How do you feel about the Bronx?

With my legs and back screaming to go home, I had one more stop. 161st st- Yankee Stadium. Hop back on the 5 downtown. Stop at 125th AGAIN! Transfer to the 4 train. Head Uptown to 161st. 

For those of you that do not know me. I absolutely hate the Yankees. I really do. But being a New Yorker forces me to realize that they are the best that New York has to offer. The never-ending success story. This is New York. I came here for one thing only. To take one picture that would symbolize everything for all New York baseball fans, specifically Yankee fans. 
  The Bat. A 138 foot exhaust pipe structure shaped like the same Louisville Slugger Babe Ruth used; sits outside the old Yankee Stadium site. A future T-shirt idea, maybe? 

After this picture we headed home. A mild sense of satisfaction creeped over my face. Mostly because I would live to share these pictures but more importantly because I learned that you have to see it for yourself in order to believe it. 

Like i said before, go out and bust a mission somewhere, maybe even get lost a little. Immerse yourself. Just be smart, be safe, and be open to new things. Once you start to practice this, you'll have a great appreciation for life, for the simpler things, and even your own life. From this experience I have a greater appreciation for my neighbor to the south. 
THE BRONX!

-TLG 

No comments:

Post a Comment